Israeli Couscous Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried Israeli couscous
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes, or more to taste
- 8 ounces ciliegine mozzarella, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- a few grinds of black pepper
In a pot, warm olive oil over medium heat.
Add the shallot and saute for a few minutes until lightly browned. Add the couscous and saute a few minutes more, lightly toasting the grains.
Add water and salt. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer with a lid for approximately five to ten minutes, stirring once or twice, until all the liquid is absorbed. The cooked couscous should be tender, but still slightly chewy.
Transfer the couscous to a serving bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Add sea salt to taste if needed.
This Israeli couscous salad can be served warm or cold.
© recipe 2012 Jennifer Meier licensed to About.com, Inc.
Styles of Fresh Mozzarella
Fresh mozzarella is usually sold in plastic containers and immersed in salted water or whey. Fresh mozzarella has a softer, creamier texture than regular packaged mozzarella does. Most mozzarella sold now is made from cow's milk, although traditionally it was made from the milk of water buffalo. Buffalo mozzarella is harder to find, but still available from some speciality cheese shops.
- Ovoline: Often called a mozzarella ball, this fresh mozzarella is about the size of a nectarine. It usually weighs about 4 ounces, although larger mozzarella balls weighing 1/2 a pound are also sold.
- Bocconcini: A slightly smaller bite-sized ball, roughly the size of an egg
- Ciliegine: Smaller still, about the size of a cherry
- Perline: The smallest size of fresh mozzarella, little balls that are the size of large pearls
Cooking with Mozzarella
- Mozzarella and Pesto
- Creamy Baked Quinoa with Mozzarella Cheese Mozzarella, Tomato & Prosciutto
- Chicken Salad with Mozzarella
- Mozzarella Bread Salad
- Eggplant Mozzarella Sandwich with Pesto
- Mozzarella Asparagus Pizza