This straightforward recipe is more interesting when it's served with sauteed vegetables and/or sauteed Italian sausage. And don't skimp on the cheese; lots of grated cheese on top adds tons of flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups pasta sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 cup grated hard cheese (or more to taste)
- optional: sauteed vegetables and/or sauteed Italian sausage
First, rinse the quinoa if the packaging does not indicate that it's pre-rinsed. Rinsing quinoa removes naturally occurring plant chemicals that are harmless but can cause a bitter flavor in quinoa.
In a deep pot, bring the water and quinoa to a boil. Lower the heat so the water is at a simmer and cover the pot.
Simmer for ten minutes.
Add the pasta sauce. Stir well. Put the lid back on the pot and simmer for another five minutes.
Turn off the heat and let the quinoa rest for five minutes (with the lid on the pot). Add additional pasta sauce or salt if needed for flavor.
The grated cheese can be stirred into the pot of quinoa and tomato sauce right before serving or you can sprinkle it on top of each serving as a garnish.
To add even more flavor to the dish, consider topping the quinoa and tomato sauce with sauteed vegetables or Italian sausage.
- Sauteed Broccoli
- Spanish Mushrooms, Peppers and Garlic Recipe
- Mediterranean Summer Vegetables
- Low Calorie Sauteed Zucchini
- Savory Sautéed Kale
- Mushrooms Provençal
- Sautéed Sausage and Peppers
Quick Facts About Quinoa
- It is pronounced "KEEN-wah"
- It is a dried seed that has been grown for thousands of years in South America
- It has the highest protein content of all grains and is considered a " complete protein"
- The flavor is mild and slightly nutty and the texture is soft and just a little bit chewy
- It is gluten-free
More Quinoa Recipes You'll Love
- Quinoa with Spiced Meat and Feta
- Red Quinoa and Wild Rice Salad with Goat Cheese
- Red Quinoa and Goat Cheese Salad with Orange Dressing
- Simple Red Quinoa and Feta Salad
- Baked Quinoa with Sausage and Cheese
- Creamy Baked Quinoa with Mozzarella Cheese
- Baked Quinoa with Tomatoes and Cheddar
- Crispy Quinoa with Kale
- Quinoa with Multi-colored Peppers and Goat Cheese