Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove, skin removed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 - 8oz containers ciliegine Mozzarella
Combine pine nuts, garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano in a food processor. With the food processor running, add olive oil. Pulse until a paste is formed, about 30-40 seconds. Add basil leaves. Pulse until basil leaves are roughly choppped and blended into the nut paste. Be careful not to overprocess the pesto. The texture should be slightly chunky, not completely smooth.
Drain the liquid from the Mozzarella and put the cheese in the middle of a serving plate. Dollop the pesto around the cheese. Drizzle olive oil over the cheese and finish with a very light sprinkle of salt. Serve with slices of bread.
Recipe by Jennifer Meier[/i8]