Basics of Cheese
These articles turn buying cheese into a fun and delicious journey by walking you through the different flavors and styles of cheese, explaining the cheesemaking process.
How Cheese is Made
Learn about the art and science of turning milk into cheese
- Six Important Steps in Cheesemaking
- Milk Types
- Types of Cheese Rinds
- Beyond Rinds
- Raw vs Pasteurized Issue
- What is Vegetarian Rennet?
- Why Does Swiss Cheese Have Holes?
- How to Make Homemade Ricotta
- How to Make Homemade Goat Cheese
- Why is Ash Used in Cheesemaking?
- How Blue Cheese is Made
A guide to buying flavorful, perfectly ripened cheese
- Essential Cheese Knowledge
- Quick Tips for Buying and Storing Cheese
- How To Make a Cheese Platter
- The Seasonality of Cheese
- Lactose Free Cheese Substitutes
- Cheese With Less Lactose
- Parmigiano-Reggiano vs Parmesan
- Where to Buy Cheese
Explore the flavors and textures of domestic cheeses made by artisanal cheesemakers in the United States and learn about the artisanal cheese industry
- Photo Library of Domestic Cheese
- East Coast Cheesemakers
- West Coast Cheesemakers
- Midwest Cheesemakers
- Industry People, Organizations and Events
Explore the flavors and textures of cheese from around the world