A cheese platter made entirely from artisanal American cheese is a great conversation piece at a party. Many people are surprised by how delicious and complex these cheeses are. Most stores are starting to sell a larger variety of American artisanal cheeses. Keep in mind, however, that many cheeses are only sold near the region where they are made.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Tumalo Tomme - Redmond, Oregon
Made by Juniper Grove Farm , this hard, raw goats' milk cheese is aged until it develops a mellow, milky flavor with hints of walnuts. Many people don't even realize it's made with goat's milk.
- Acapella -Petaluma, California
This fresh young cheese by Andante Dairy is made with goat's milk as well, but the flavor and texture are much different than Tumalo Tomme. A creamy, fluffy texture and sweet and delicately spicy flavor make this cheese memorable.
- Buttermilk Blue - Monroe, Wisconsin
Made with raw milk by Roth Kase, this silky blue is relatively mild with a nice tangy bite. A wedge of blue adds a nice color component to the platter.
- Presentation and Garnish
Theses three cheeses would go best with a fruit spread (consider using fig) and nuts, such as walnuts or pecans.
- Not only are all the cheeses on this platter American-made, they are from three different states, which makes the platter even more interesting.
- Two goat's milk cheeses and a blue on one platter goes against conventional wisdom. However, there is no reason not to pair these cheeses together, as long as the textures and flavors of each are different.
What You Need
- Serving platter or plate
- Cheese knives