- If cheese is being served as an hors d'oeuvre before a meal or as a dessert course after a meal plan to buy approximately 2 ounces of each cheese per person.
- If cheese is the only food being served, buy approximately 4-6 ounces of each cheese per person.
Example: If ten people are coming to your house for dinner and you're serving a cheese plate to snack on before dinner is served, buy 1.25 pounds (20 ounces) of each type of cheese.
Budget Savings Tips:
- If you're serving other appetizers alongside the cheese, you can buy less than the amounts suggested above
- Serve lots of garnishes - sliced bread, crackers, olives, cured meat, dried fruit, nuts - and you can buy less cheese than suggested above.
- Buy larger amounts of less-expensive cheeses (cheddar, monterey jack, logs of goat cheese, brie) and smaller amounts of high-end cheeses