Selection of Cheese:
The creamery makes fresh goat cheese as well as fresh cheeses such as fromage blanc, mascarpone and quark along with creme fraiche and butter.
- Feta - Made from goats' milk. Crumbly texture and less salty brine than some other types of feta
- Crottin - Mild goats' milk flavor, slightly tangy, smooth and creamy texture
- Bijou - A small crottin with a fresh, lemony flavor and soft edible rind
- Bonne Bouche - Creamy goats' milk with an ash rind
- Coupole - Coupole is named for its shape, which resembles a snow covered dome and is made with the same recipe as Bijou
- Cremont - Cow and goats milk are mixed with cream to create a super-creamy cheese with a tangy, yeasty flavor
Owners Allison Hooper and Bob Reese started Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery in 1984 after a batch of fresh goat cheese Allison made for a banquet drew raves. They realized they were on to something good and began making more varieties of cheese from milk sourced from local farms. Today, Vermont Butter & Cheese Creamery has 29 employees and works with 21 family farms.