This sandwich is a great way to use leftover turkey. Sliced deli turkey will work too, but isn't quite as good.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Yield: 2-3 sandwiches
- 1 white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- For each sandwich: 2-4 slices of turkey, 2-4 slices of cheese, 1-2 slices of bread
In 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil, saute onion and celery over medium heat until soft and very lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
On a slice of bread, layer turkey with onion and celery then cheese.
This sandwich can be cooked open-faced or with two slices of bread. If cooking open-faced, heat under a broiler or in a toaster oven until cheese is completely melted and bubbling. If cooking with two slices of bread, make the sandwich then spread butter on each slice of bread and heat the sandwich in a pan over medium-heat, cooking it the same way you would cook a grilled cheese sandwich.