- 1/2 lb dried angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts**
- 1 large garlic clove, skin removed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- **toasted almond slivers or walnuts can be substituted
Put a pot of 2 quarts water on to boil for the pasta. When the water begins to boil, add the dried noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain the noodles in a colander. Set aside.
Combine pine nuts, garlic, and cheese in a food processor. With the food processor running, add olive oil. Pulse until a paste is formed, about 30-40 seconds. Add basil leaves. Pulse until basil leaves are roughly choppped and blended into the nut paste. Be careful not to overprocess the pesto. The texture should be slightly chunky, not completely smooth. The color will be bright green.
In the serving bowl, mix the pesto into the cooked pasta. Serves 2-4.
Reprinted with permission from Mary Meier.