Sharp cheddar tastes best in this salad. Some to consider are Bravo Cheddar, Flagship Cheddar or Grafton cheddar.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 2 green apples, sliced into matchsticks
- 3 ounces sharp white cheddar, thinly sliced with a cheese plane
- optional: 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons canola, grapeseed or sunflower oil
- sea salt to taste
In a large bowl combine fennel, apple and cheddar. Add jalapeno if using. Other greesn, such as arugula, can also be added.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and both oils.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss. Add sea salt to taste.
If kept in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, the dressed salad will stay crisp overnight but tastes best if eaten within 24 hours.
© recipe 2012 Jennifer Meier licensed to About.com, Inc.
More Fennel Recipes