This lentil and Parmigiano-Reggiano salad recipe is very healthy and really flavorful. It's a perfect salad to make ahead and serve as a main course for lunch or as a side dish for dinner. Any type of lentil can be used, but green lentils and especially black Beluga lentils have the firmest texture and are less prone to becoming mushy.
Lentil and Parmigiano-Reggiano Salad Recipe makes four servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked lentil beans
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp mustard (yellow or dijon)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 can artichoke hearts in water (about 5 hearts)
Combine lentils and 4 cups water in a deep pot. Boil with a lid for 30 minutes, until lentils are fairly soft but not mushy. Drain lentils, rinse with cold water, and let cool.
Whisk together olive oil, mustard, shallot, salt and pepper. Mix well into lentils. Add parsley and cheese. Cut the artichoke hearts into halves or quarters and gently mix in. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
© Recipe 2008 Jennifer Meier licensed to About.com, Inc.